May 16, 2011

Welcome Nixon James Henkel!

Ok so I am pretty embarrassed of myself because my newborn is now a month old and it has taken me this long to finally post about him! Not only that but I am so behind I haven't even gotten up pics of Jack's birthday, My birthday or Ella's birthday! I am horrible! My mom was making fun of me the other day when she asked, " Did you even have a baby?" I still haven't seen any pictures, I'm beginning to think you don't even have one!" My apologies little Nix, I do love you I have just been pretty busy/tired lately with all of these adjustments with our family- 3 kids is no joke! Lately I have often wondered how my mom did 5 or how any woman does more than that! I'm sure it gets easier as you learn to to adjust to the changes, I'll let you know in a few months! :)



The last few preggo pics...



Waiting for the pitocin to kick in so we could welcome our little buddy into our family!



4 hours after being induced i delivered this beautiful little boy...
Nixon James Henkel
8 lbs. 2 oz.
19 in. long
with lots of hair!



Proud papa after giving him his first bath!



So here's the story of how it all went...
Got to the hospital at 7:30 in the morning on April 13th to be induced 6 days before my due date. My mom came up the night before to watch our kids. I was finally all set up to start being induced by 9:00 after a couple failed attempts to get my IV in ( for some reason they always struggle to poke my veins without rolling them or going all the way through!) Then the doc broke my water and they started the pitocin. Contractions started coming pretty quickly and not too bad at first but I knew it would go fast after my last labor with Jack which lasted barely 3 hours and with no drugs. They came to check on me and I told them i thought I was ready for my epidural. So the nurse said ok, Ill be right back with the anesthesiologist. She had assured me I will not let you miss the window to get an epidural like what had happened with Jack because of my rapid labor. So she leaves and we wait and we wait and my contractions are starting not to have breaks between them and I was getting worried that I really was going to miss my chance to get an epidural. We paged the nurse multiple times but she was missing and only the front desk lady would answer and she would say, " The nurse will be in in a few minutes," but that was a lie we had been waiting there 30 mins with no sign of her and I was determined to get an epidural this time. Finally about 35 mins later a different nurse shows up and we let her in on our situation, and ask her what happened to the other nurse. She tells us that she was called off to help in the OR but she felt bad that we had been waiting so long but that no one had said anything to her about someone needing to come up to our room and she totally could have come earlier because she had just been pretty much doing nothing in another part of the hospital, (so annoying!) SO she hurried and got the anesthesiologist who was awesome! He got my epidural done really fast, but I think he gave me an excessive amount of the meds because I was numb for like 4-5 hours after when its only supposed to take about 2 to wear off. But man once I got the epidural things were hunky dory except for that those drugs make me feel like my whole body is constantly itching so I have a hard time just relaxing, but much better than contraction pain. So all in all the whole labor only took 4 hours and 3 pushes and he was here without any tearing either! It was so amazing to hold that little boy in my arms and realize what a miracle bringing this little life into the world is. We were just amazed at how much hair he had. The awesome part was the doctor pretty much just gave him directly to me after he was born, with my other two they didn't do that. So I got to snuggle him right away. After some time of holding him Chad got to go give him his first bath and get him so fresh and so clean clean.















This little guys has definitely got a set of lungs! We decided his cry sounded like those bottle rocket fire crackers the first few days of his life.





A few hours after delivering him my mom brought the kids up to meet their new little brother and it was adorable. Jack couldn't stop kissing him and hasn't stopped to this day! The only problem is he is a little rougher than we would like so we have to monitor the length and pressure of these smooches Jack likes to lay on him. :)



Jackson was so cute though when he first saw him he was like, "Oh Hi sweetheart."









Ella was in love with him as well and she kept asking us if we were bringing him to California with us when we move. heehee



Proud Nana of 3 grandbabies now!






Investigating the new little guy.





The first family photo of our family of 5!



The normalcy didn't last long before my kids went feral though. :) Jack really wanted to squeeze the baby and he was ticked I wasn't allowing it and who knows what Ella was doing. Poor Chad was holding strong to that pose though no matter what happened.



And we got it back to calm again for one last shot, ( I am restraining Jack's hand though, so the poor baby doesn't get mauled again for the time being)

We love having this little man in our family. He is so darn cute. He definitely loves to be held though, especially by his Mama. And so far he abhors the pacifier and disdains a bottle when I pump. He is my little buddy for sure. We are so glad he is here, both my kids constantly want to be up close to him and talk about how cute he is. It's sweet how much they adore him. And his Daddy is so ecstatic to hold him and snuggle him as well and has already gotten some really cute smiles from him. It's great time for us.

7 comments:

Dani said...

Congratulations!!! He is so stinkin' cute! I LOVE all that hair! You look amazing. And it has been way too long since I've seen your other kids! Next time we get together we really need to not be so selfish and let our kids get together too. :) And keep trying with that pacifier! It took Taytum almost 4 months before she would take hers, but it is so worth it! (especially if you've ever had a thumb sucker) Good luck with three! And the move! And the new job! And everything else! Hope to see you soon!

HAYHAY said...

OHHHH My eyes started watering when you described Jackson seeing him for the first time. That is SOO sweet. I got a little glimpse of what is to come for me in October. I hope I can handle three like you... Most of all, I wish we were close enough to do it together!!

Nixon is BEAUTIFUL. I love those cheeks and eyes... PERFECTION!! You guys make cute babies. I'm glad it all went smoothly. We love you guys.

Amiee said...

What a perfect little family!! Love you guys!

Stacy Toone said...

Oh, Congrats!!!!~ Your family is so beautiful!!!! I'm so excited for you guys. And of course your baby is so perfect and adorable like the ones before him! Congratulations. (And California??? I'm needing an update!) Miss you guys! (We'll be in Idaho in August...will you still be around?)

The Burton's said...

Hey Henkel Family,

Burtons here, we r so happy for your family and your sweet new addition! We wondered if you r moving our way anytime soon and if so lets meet up! you can come over or we could meet at the "Happiest place on earth."
Let us know!!
Brad and Bry

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness it has been WAY too long since we talked. Congratulations on the birth of Nixon!! I love his name! What is your phone number? I'd love to chat!

Mendel Family said...

Okay I need to know how you and Dani know each other because I am best pals with her sister Summer here in Utah! Small world! Anyway, yay for the post of pics!!! Congrats, he is so darling! I am glad you got your epidural :) And are you guys moving to California?